Can I interest you in the juiciest cornflake-drusted buttermilk chicken on earth?!
Glad you're sticking around, because this chicken has oodles of great qualities, in addition to being juicy.
The top 4 reasons why this chicken is so damn good
- It's drenched in buttermilk, which is always, always, always a good thing.
- It has a spiced cornflake crust that provides so very much crunch.
- It's oven-fried and crispy as ever.
- It's drizzled with honey right before you eat it.
How to make cornflake-crusted buttermilk chicken
It's often thought that baking crusted chicken won't result in that crispy crust that you get from deep-frying. And while they don't turn out exactly the same, it is absolutely possible for oven-fried chicken to turn out crispy and delicious.
I recommend using a wire baking rack tucked inside of a baking sheet so all sides get that crispy crunch because, well, there is nothing that beats biting into a piece of crusted chicken that crunches first, followed by a juicy piece of perfectly seasoned and cooked chicken. Just.... YUM.
Use the standard breading procedure
- Flour. Start by dredging the chicken in flour. This is the first step of the breading procedure. And it should be seasoned flour, too, so be sure to mix some salt, black pepper, and in this case, cayenne for a little heat before dredging.
- Egg. The second step, after the chicken is covered in flour, is to coat it in egg. I sometimes like to mix in a few tablespoons of milk and/or Dijon mustard for flavor, and most definitely season it with - at the very least - salt and black pepper. Each stage needs to add flava!
- Breadcrumbs. The last step is to dip the floured and egged chicken into the breadcrumbs. These could be traditional breadcrumbs, Panko or in this case, crushed up cornflakes for that crispy crunch.
- Bake! Line each piece, spaced apart, on a greased wire rack that is sitting inside of a baking sheet. This allows the air to get around the chicken so every last bite is crunchy - not soggy. It's a must! You can also coat each piece in cooking spray to help the crunch develop.
Also check out my cookbooks!
Are you ready to enjoy this cornflake-crusted buttermilk chicken?!
Oh, and once this stuff is hot out of the oven - drizzle it with honey.
A few other fabulous chicken recipes:
- Asparagus-Stuffed Chicken with Roasted Fingerlings
- Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Indian Butter Chicken
- Curry Chicken Meatball Bowls
Cornflake-Crusted Buttermilk Chicken
Buttermilk-drenched chicken that's oven baked with a crispy seasoned cornflake crust and finished with honey.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 22-27 min
- Total Time: 37-42 min
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups cornflakes
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts*
- Honey, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Fit a baking sheet with a wire rack and coat with cooking spray.
- Place cornflakes, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper in a small food processor and pulse until cornflake pieces are just broken up (not in crumbs). Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish.
- Place the eggs and milk in a separate dish and whisk to combine.
- Place the flour in a separate dish and whisk in ½ teaspoon remaining salt, ¼ teaspoon remaining black pepper and ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- Season the chicken thighs or breasts with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Line the dishes up in this order to create an assembly line: chicken, flour, egg wash, cornflake mixture and the prepared baking sheet with wire rack. Dip the chicken into the flour, then egg wash, then cornflake mixture and place it on the wire rack. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Coat the chicken with cooking spray.
- Bake 22-27 minutes or until chicken is firm and reaches 165 degrees in the thickest part (use an instant-read thermometer).
- Drizzle desired amount of honey over the chicken and serve immediately.
*Cooking Tip: The cook time will differ between chicken thighs and breasts, so it's best to use an instant-read thermometer to tell when it's done.
- Serving Size: ⅙ of recipe
- Calories: 291
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 568mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 28g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
Keywords: oven-fried, tasty, easy, best, crunchy, crispy, delicious, family friendly