This late summer roasted poblano soup with chicken is the perfect late summer soup! It's filled with roasty toasty sweet corn and spicy poblanos, black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, shredded chicken and spices. You'll love it!
How to make roasted poblano soup with chicken
- Sweet corn. A few ears of fresh sweet corn are best, but you can also use frozen!
- Poblano. The star ingredient that is ultra flavorful when roasted/broiled.
- Onion. We need aromatics to make the broth taste super delish!
- Spices. Garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and black pepper.
- Chicken. You can use boneless skinless thighs or breasts.
- Diced tomatoes. I like fire roasted for this soup.
- Black beans. Give fiber, protein and body to the soup.
- Green chilies. From the can work just fine!
- Chicken stock. I use unsalted and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- Toppings. Avocado and crushed tortilla chips are my fave.
- An oven.
- A pastry brush.
- A baking sheet.
- A bowl with a lid.
- A cutting board and chef's knife.
- Measuring cups and spoons.
- A Dutch oven or soup pot.
- A wooden spoon.
- Forks for shredding chicken.
- An immersion blender.
- A ladle and bowls for serving.
- Preheat oven to low broil. Brush the sweet corn and poblano with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Broil on low 10 minutes, turning regularly, until the corn is toasted and the poblano is lightly blackened. Remove from the oven and let slightly cool. Slice the corn off the cob and set aside. Remove the stem and seeds from the poblano. Place the body of the poblano in a bowl and cover it tightly with a lid or plastic wrap. Let is sit 5 minutes, then peel off the charred exterior. Dice the poblano. Set the corn and poblano aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a Dutch oven or stock pot to medium heat. Add the onion and cook on medium 3-4 minutes or until slightly soft. Stir in the poblanos, corn, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and black pepper until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the chicken breasts or thighs, diced tomatoes, black beans, green chilies and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use tongs to remove the chicken from the pot and shred with 2 forks. Place it back in the pot.
- Run an immersion blender in the pot of soup for a few seconds, just long enough to thicken the soup. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Spoon soup into bowls and top with avocado and crushed tortilla chips. Serve with lime wedges.
Recipe Substitutions and Alterations
- Sweet corn: You can use frozen or even canned sweet corn if you can't find fresh.
- Chicken: You can use turkey breast or make this vegetarian and add another can or two of black or pinto beans.
- Onion: A white onion will also work.
- Canned tomatoes: Any can of diced tomatoes will work. You can also dice fresh tomato and use that.
- To make this gluten free: This recipe is naturally gluten free as long as all packaged/canned ingredients are certified gluten free.
- To make this dairy free: This recipe is naturally dairy free!
- To make this vegetarian/vegan: Skip the chicken and add another can or two of black or pinto beans. Use vegetable stock.
- To make this lower sodium: Use less salt and choose unsalted stock.
Scrumptious soup recipes:
- Spicy Zucchini Soup
- Vegetable Minestrone
- Curry Cauliflower Soup
- Street Corn Chowder
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Carrot Ginger Soup
Roasted Poblano Soup with Chicken
A late summer soup with roasted sweet corn, poblanos, chicken and spices.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 30-35 mins
- Total Time: 40-50 mins
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Mexican, American
- 3 ears fresh sweet corn, husked
- 1 medium poblano pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1-pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 15-ounce can fire roasted petite diced tomatoes
- 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4-ounce can diced green chilies
- 2-3 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 ½-2 teaspoons coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Tortilla strips, shredded Mexican cheese and diced avocado, for serving
- Preheat oven to low broil. Brush sweet corn and poblano with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Broil on low 10 minutes, turning regularly, until the corn is toasted and the pepper is charred. Remove btoh from the oven and let slightly cool. Slice the corn off the cob and peel the charred bits off the poblano pepper and remove the stem and seeds, then dice the pepper flesh. Set both aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a Dutch oven or stock pot to medium heat. Add the onion and cook on medium 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken thighs and cook until lightly browned on all sides, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin until fragrant. Stir in the roasted sweet corn and poblanos, diced tomatoes, black beans, green chilies and chicken stock. Season with salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Run an immersion blender in the pot of soup for a few seconds, just long enough to thicken the soup.
- Spoon soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips, shredded Mexican cheese and diced avocado.
Cooking Tip: Roasting the corn and poblanos provides rich flavor.
- Serving Size: ⅛ servings
- Calories: 254
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 453mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 18g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
Keywords: best, easy, healthy, comfort food, summer soup