I think you'll fall in love with this apple walnut chicken salad.
It's basically waldorf chicken salad with rotisserie chicken, celery, grapes, honeycrisp apples and walnuts tossed in a creamy yogurt dressing. It'll be your new favorite, I'm sure of it.
How to make apple walnut chicken salad
- Plain Greek yogurt. For tanginess and because it contains protein and probiotics.
- Mayonnaise. Adds creamy richness and plays nicely with the tang of the yogurt.
- Dijon. For the flavor. IYKYK.
- Honey. To balance everything out.
- Chicken breast. You can cook a few chicken breasts and let them cool (see the recipe below for instructions) or chop up a rotisserie chicken.
- Apples. Any crisp apple will work.
- Celery. For crunch and freshness.
- Grapes. Your favorite seedless grape will work.
- Walnuts. You can toast them first, if you want a bit more nuttiness and texture.
- A cutting board and chef's knife.
- Measuring cups and spoons.
- A big bowl.
- A spatula or spoon.
- Storage/meal prep containers.
- Plates and forks for serving.
- Make the dressing: In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, Dijon, honey, salt and black pepper until combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Mix in the salad ingredients: Fold in the cooked chicken, apples, celery, grapes and walnuts until combined.
- Serve or store: Serve immediately or let chill in the refrigerator.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
This recipe does not freeze well. However, you can use thawed frozen chicken for the recipe.
- Serve in lettuce cups.
- Serve on whole grain bread to make a sammie
- Serve with whole grain crackers.
- Serve as-is. Eat it with a spoon or fork!
Recipes perfect for meal prep:
- Greek Lamb Meatballs (Gyro Style)
- Homemade Instant Oatmeal in a Cup
- Classic BBQ Meatloaf Cups
- Chorizo and Hash Brown Egg Muffins
- Vegetarian Taco Salad
- Pumpkin Cookie Dough Bites
Apple Walnut Chicken Salad
Waldorf chicken salad with rotisserie chicken, celery, grapes, honeycrisp apples and walnuts tossed in a creamy yogurt dressing.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Total Time: 10-15 mins
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
- ¼ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½-1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (from about 1 ½-pounds raw)
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 2 medium stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup green or red seedless grapes, halved
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, Dijon, honey, salt and black pepper until combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Fold in the cooked chicken, apples, celery, grapes and walnuts until combined.
- Serve immediately or let chill in the refrigerator.
Storage Tip: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Serving Tips: Serve the chicken salad as-is, in lettuce cups, on whole grain bread or with whole grain crackers.
Cooking Tip: Be sure to cook the chicken in advance. It can be sautéed in a hot, oiled skillet on the stove or roasted in the oven. Be sure the chicken reaches 165 degrees and is fully cooled before adding it to the salad.
- Serving Size: ⅙ of recipe
- Calories: 296
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 362mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 38g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
Keywords: chicken, salad, meal prep, lunch, brunch