This post for Grown-Up Deviled Eggs is in partnership with Silver Spring Foods from Eau Claire, WI. All views are my own.
Is it even a holiday if there isn't a tray of deviled eggs? It never fails: we are prepping food for a gathering and I am spooning deviled egg filling into the egg whites and people grab them before I can even get the finished egg to the platter.
Which is precisely why I don't spend extra time making them look pretty. They taste absolutely fantastic, and that's all that matters. In fact, I had to muster up all sorts of willpower to not eat this entire tray as I finished taking pictures.
How to make your deviled eggs even more delicious (yes, it's possible)
Traditional deviled eggs are so good, but this version has a little extra umpf that makes them super fantastic. My two secret weapons?
A dab of horseradish and whole grain mustard. They both make the deviled eggs feel grown-up, but the difference is subtle enough that even the kids will enjoy them.
And as always, you can put as little or as much horseradish and mustard in them as you please (one of the reasons I love scratch cooking so darn much!). But I promise that little bit of ZING you get from the horseradish is everything. Plus, the whole grain mustard makes me feel sophisicated. Just let me have this one thing, okay?!
Also, if you top them with crispy crumbled bacon, chives, freshly cracked black pepper, etc, you won't be sorry.
How to make easy-to-peel hard boiled eggs
Anyway... I also have a few tricks for hard-boiled egg cookery. To make the whole process less annoying, if you will.
Tip no. 1: Use eggs that have been in your fridge at least a week. Ideally, a couple of weeks old. I have tried hard boiling fresh eggs a million different ways and it's just not ideal.
Tip no. 2: Only cook them for 12ish minutes in boiling water. Any longer and your yolks will turn green (I've done it many times - don't feel bad). 12 is just that magic number where the yolks are perfectly light yellow and the texture is absurdly delicious.
Tip no. 3: Try making them in the Instant Pot! It only takes 4 minutes on high pressure. Simply put the trivet in the bottom, lay the eggs on top of it and add 1 cup of water. Voila! Perfect hard boiled eggs.
Tip no. 4: Make extra. Always make extra.
Well, friends, I hope you make a batch of these delightful grown-up deviled eggs and love em'. And be sure to tell me (in the comments) about your favorite deviled egg fillings and toppings! I want all the deets.Print
Grown-Up Deviled Eggs
Simple deviled eggs with a grown-up kick made with whole grain mustard, a dab of horseradish and toppings galore.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 12-15 mins
- Total Time: 22-25 mins
- Yield: Makes 24 halves 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stove-Top, No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 12 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- ½-1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Paprika, freshly cracked black pepper and/or chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Use a slotted spoon to gently drop the eggs into the pot, one at a time. Place a lid on the pot, reduce to a simmer and cook 12 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain and place eggs in a bowl of ice water for 15 minutes. Peel the eggs and cut them in half. Remove the egg yolks and place them in a medium bowl. Line the egg white halves on a platter.
- To the bowl with the egg yolks, add the mayonnaise, mustard, horseradish, salt and black pepper. Use a hand mixer, potato masher or back of a fork to mash the mixture until creamy. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Transfer the egg yolk mixture to a piping bag or sealable plastic bag with a slit cut in the corner. Pipe the yolk mixture into the egg white halves. Garnish with paprika, freshly cracked black pepper and chopped chives. Refrigerate and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 half
- Calories: 61
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 73mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 0g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
Keywords: holiday, easy, quick, bites, snacks, healthy, party ideas, entertaining