No matter what time of year, pumpkin is always good. In fact, if you have any leftover pumpkin or spare cans in your pantry, these pumpkin muffins with pistachio crumble are for you.
These absolutely delicious muffins can be whipped up in just minutes and make the perfect breakfast or brunch or snack item, like, ever.
The muffin batter has an entire 15-ounce can of pumpkin, whatever flour you like best, pie spice (or cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves), dark brown sugar, eggs, (real) vanilla and oil for that super tender texture we all know and love about muffins.
I'm pretty sure you have most of these things on hand already, so why not make muffins? It is sure to brighten up any day, after all.
Pistchio Crumble on Pumpkin Muffins? Yes please.
The best muffins are right here. Yum.
And on top of that sits a mound of buttery, oatey, pistachio crumble with a hint of cinnamon that takes these pumpkin muffins from really good to really, really great.
Plus, if you're not a pistachio fan or don't have them on hand, just grab a handful of almonds, walnuts, pecans or the like and toss them into the crumble topping.
Or you can leave them crumble-less so your picky husband will eat them.
Can anyone else relate?!
Now let's make muffins.Print
Pumpkin Muffins with Pistachio Crumble
Tender spiced pumpkin muffins with a buttery oat pistachio topping.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 35 min
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Brunch, Breakfast, Snack
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour*
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios, crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt until combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat brown sugar and eggs until fluffy. Drizzle in oil and beat until fluffy. Beat in pumpkin puree, then vanilla extract until combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, beating on low until just combined.
- Spoon batter into the muffin wells, filling each almost to the top.
- In a small bowl, stir together melted butter, oats, crumbled pistachios and cinnamon until combined. Spoon mixture on top of each muffin cup and lightly press into the muffin batter.
- Bake 17-22 minutes or until just set.
Substitution Tip: Substitute for all-purpose, whole wheat, whole wheat white or oat flour(s), if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 254
- Sugar: 13
- Sodium: 368
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Unsaturated Fat: 11
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 30
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 39
Keywords: fall, whole wheat, best, easy, healthy, pumpkin spice