Everyone loves blueberry date muffins, right?
Well I'll tell you what - these babes are super duper good, made with hearty whole grain pastry flour, some dark brown sugar, pure vanilla extract, chopped up dates and loads of blueberries.
The best blueberry date muffins, right here
Sometimes I even sprinkle some turbinado sugar on top for a little crunch and extra sweetness (so rebellious).
So each time you take a bite out of a warm-out-of-the-oven muffin, you get a touch of sweetness, a burst of berries and a chewy date. And it's purely heaven. It may even remind you of a time you enjoyed a warm muffin from a favorite coffee shop or local pastry, it's that good.
And who knows, this might just become one of those go-to recipes that sticks around for the long-term!
Have you heard about my cookbooks?
And the fun part is that this is one of so many scrumptious recipes in my DASH cookbook! Because you know I love to throw one of those special recipes in the mix every once in awhile....
Berries are also one of the hallmarks of the MIND diet, which is a way of eating that helps reduce risk of developing Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
I have a new cookbook out on the MIND diet, and you'll find recipes featuring berries and other brain-supportive ingredients! Be sure to check out both the MIND and DASH cookbooks - I don't think you'll be disappointed!
Now, go ahead and cook up a batch of these to eat for breakfast or snacks all week, and freeze a few to have later! I promise you won't regret it and it will make your mornings a breeze.
If you're loving this muffin recipe, you may also enjoy these:
- Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Mixed Berry Crumble Muffins
- Almond Flour Blueberry Muffins
- Banana Crunch Muffins
- Healthy Morning Glory Muffins
Blueberry Date Muffins
A classic whole grain muffin sweetened with brown sugar and dates.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20-25 min
- Total Time: 35-40 min
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼-½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup milk or nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 8 pitted Medjool dates, chopped (about ¼ cup chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil and brown sugar until fluffy. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until well beaten. Whisk in the vanilla extract and milk or yogurt until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined, then gently fold in the blueberries and dates.
- Evenly spoon the batter into each muffin line, filling almost all the way to the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let slightly cool before removing from the muffin tin.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 172mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
Keywords: best, easy, healthy, whole wheat, whole grain, from scratch