I've been making Mexican Fried Rice for several years now. It's so very delicious and my husband asks for it regularly.
It's kind of like my Orecchette, Brussels Sprout & Sausage Skillet - we never get sick of it. It's super easy to make, has a ton of flavor and it's craveable (you'll think about it before, during and after eating).
How to make chorizo fried rice
It's also one of those dishes that makes for perfect leftovers. You may even fight over the last dish in the refrigerator if you're anything like us. (The hubs took the last container today and I'm not pleased...)
It all starts with onion, red bell pepper and green bell pepper, then spicy chorizo, then a handful of spices, then fluffy rice and scrambled egg, and is finished with cilantro, avocado, cheese, lime juice and crunchy tortilla chips.
A twist on a classic!
You can also load up on other toppings, use different grains and proteins, or basically do whatever you want with this recipe.
I take it as an opportunity to use up a bunch of stuff I have leftover in my fridge plus some pantry staples.
And voila! Pure deliciousness.
I mean... what could possibly go wrong here?
Nothing, you guys. It's freaking good.Print
Chorizo Fried Rice
Fried rice made Mexican-style! A simple and easy dinner made with bell peppers, chorizo, spices, fluffy rice and scrambled eggs and cilantro, topped with cheese, avocado, lime juice and crunchy tortilla chips!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 45 min
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- ½ to 1-pound ground chorizo
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 ½ cups cooked rice (brown or white)
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- Shredded cheese, diced avocado, and/or crushed tortilla chips, for serving
- Heat a large non-stick skillet to medium-low heat. Coat with cooking spray. Add the beaten eggs and use a spatula to constantly fold the eggs as they cook, until just set. Stir in ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Transfer the eggs to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the same skillet to medium heat. Add the onion and bell peppers and cook 3-4 minutes or until slightly soft. Add the chorizo and cook 6-7 minutes or until browned, breaking up the sausage into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin and smoked paprika.
- Fold in the cooked rice, scrambled eggs and remaining salt and black pepper. Fold in chopped cilantro.
- Top with cheese, avocado and/or tortilla chips, as desired.
Substitution Tip: Substitute with ground chicken, turkey, beef or pork, if desired. You may have to increase the volume of the chili powder, cumin and smoked paprika to make it equally delicious.
- Serving Size: ⅛ of recipe
- Calories: 272
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 613
- Fat: 20
- Saturated Fat: 6
- Unsaturated Fat: 14
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 12
- Cholesterol: 128
Keywords: easy, healthy, homemade, ideas, weeknight, quick