This Brussels Sprouts Sausage pasta is THE comfort food recipe your whole family will love!
It's an easy one pot dish made with orecchiette, Brussels sprouts, Italian sausage, oregano and Parmesan.
Talk about flavor!
How to: Brussels sprouts sausage pasta
- Pasta. I love using orecchiette for this, but you can use any shaped pasta you like.
- Olive oil. A good quality one will make all the difference in this dish (my fave is California Olive Ranch).
- Ground sausage. I choose uncured and if available, Italian turkey sausage for a lower saturated fat option.
- You can also use the sausage in casing, simply remove the casings and add it to the pot.
- Brussels sprouts. Grab the fresh for this recipe - whether they're whole and you chop them by hand or they're already chopped.
- Spinach. Fresh or frozen will do! Grab a few handfuls and throw them in.
- Garlic. And lots of it.
- Oregano. Use the dried oregano leaves versus the ground oregano.
- Parmesan. Freshly grated, shredded or shaved.
- A large pot such as a Dutch oven.
- A colander to drain the pasta.
- A wooden spoon to cook the sausage and Brussels sprouts.
- Measuring cups and spoons unless you want to wing it.
- Bowls and forks for serving.
- First, chop and mise en place all of your ingredients.
- Next, boil the pasta. Bring a large pot or Dutch oven of water to a boil.
- Cook orecchiette according to package directions.
- Reserve ½ cup of the pasta water. Drain the rest of the pasta water and set aside.
- Cook the sausage and Brussels sprouts. In the same pot, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil to medium.
- Add sausage and cook until slightly browned, about 4-5 minutes, stirring to break up the sausage.
- Stir in Brussels sprouts and cook 4-5 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook 3-4 minutes, until spinach is wilted and sausage is completely browned.
- Add the spices. Stir in garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Stir in cooked orecchiette and remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and the reserved pasta water; let simmer for a few minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Don't ever forget this step!
- Serve with freshly grated, shredded or shaved Parmesan cheese.
Recipe Substitutions & Alterations
- Pasta: Choose any shape of pasta you'd like. Penne, farfalle, rotini, etc.
- Sausage: If you're looking for a lower saturated fat option, choose Italian turkey sausage.
- Use ground Italian sausage or sausage in the casings (just remove the casings).
- I choose uncured when available.
- Spinach: Use fresh or frozen. Use kale or another leafy green if you'd like.
- To make gluten free: Use gluten free pasta. Choose a sausage that is certified gluten free.
- To make dairy free: Skip the Parmesan. Try nutritional yeast if you'd like.
- To make vegetarian: Skip the sausage. Add some fennel if you'd like some of the flavor from sausage.
A smattering of pasta recipes:
- Lemon Asparagus Pasta
- Cheesy Taco Pasta
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta Bake
- Caprese Pesto Pasta Salad
- Pasta Calabrese with Artichokes
Orecchiette, Brussels Sprouts & Sausage Skillet
A simple weeknight skillet with pasta, five cups of green veggies and sausage.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Dinner, Pasta
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Italian
- ½-pound orecchiette pasta
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-pound spicy ground Italian sausage (all-natural)
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼-½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup freshly grated or shaved Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook orecchiette according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil to medium. Add sausage and cook until slightly browned, about 3 minutes, stirring to break up the sausage. Stir in Brussels sprouts and cook 4-5 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook 3-4 minutes, until spinach is wilted and sausage is completely browned. Stir in garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir in cooked orecchiette and remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve with freshly grated or shaved Parmesan cheese.
Substitution Tip: Use any shaped pasta of your choice.
- Serving Size: ⅛ of recipe
- Calories: 414
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 613mg
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 18g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 18g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
Keywords: easy, simple, healthy, green veggies, weeknight, skillet, family friendly