Let me introduce you to cookies and cream nice cream!
This creamy soft serve-like frozen dessert is made with pureed frozen bananas, vanilla extract and milk with crushed chocolate sandwich cookies folded in.
A delicious, healthier sweet treat made with Oreos!
How to: cookies and cream nice cream
- Frozen bananas. I recommend grabbing 5 ripe bananas, peeling them and storing them in a zip top bag in the freezer.
- Vanilla extract. Get "pure" vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste. It makes all the difference.
- Milk. You can use any kind. I used vanilla soy milk and it was so delicious, but go with cow's, coconut, almond, cashew, oat, rice or the like.
- Salt. Just a pinch to bring out the flavors.
- Chocolate sandwich cookies. You can use Oreos or any brand of chocolate sandwich cookies (I used Simple Truth Organic).
- A food processor to puree the nice cream.
- Measuring cups and spoons.
- A spatula for scraping and folding.
- A bowl or loaf pan to hold the nice cream.
- A plastic zip top bag for crushing the cookies.
- An ice cream scoop, bowls and spoons for serving.
- First, be sure you have 5 frozen bananas in the freezer.
- Also, crush the chocolate sandwich cookies. Place them in a zip top bag and use a mallet, heavy spoon or rolling pin to crush them into pieces.
- Next, place the frozen bananas, vanilla extract, milk and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Scrape the sides as necessary and be sure all chunks of banana are pureed. It should be soft serve ice cream texture.
- If it needs more liquid, add a bit more milk.
- Transfer the nice cream to a bowl and fold in the crushed cookies.
- Scoop into bowls or cones and serve immediately, or for a firmer nice cream, place in the freezer 30-60 minutes, then scoop and serve.
- To store, fit the bowl with a lid and store in the freezer.
- Once frozen, it'll be a bit difficult to scoop unless it sits at room temperature for a little bit.
- I suggest serving the nice cream immediately after making, or store it in the freezer 30-60 minutes, then scoop and serve.
- To store for later use, place a lid on the bowl (airtight) and place in the freezer up to 1 month. Let sit at room temperature 30-60 minutes before scooping.
Recipe Substitutions and Alterations
- Banana: I would not substitute the banana in this recipe.
- Milk: You can use any milk option to make this nice cream. Even cream, half and half or evaporated milk would work.
- Cookies: Instead of cookies, try making this nice cream with fruit mixed in, such as chopped peaches, mangos or berries.
- To make gluten free: Choose gluten free cookies or use fruit as the mix-in.
- To make dairy free: Use dairy free milk and be sure the cookies you use are dairy free. If you can't find dairy free cookies, use fruit as a mix-in.
- To make vegan: Choose a plant-based milk and be sure the cookies you choose are plant-based. If you can't find vegan cookies, use fruit as a mix-in.
Other sweet treats:
- Strawberry Coulis (as a dessert topping)
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Summer Raspberry Cake
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Yogurt Cookies
- Italian Ricotta Cheesecake
- Mixed Berry Oatmeal Cookie Crisp
Cookies and Cream Nice Cream
Creamy "ice cream" made with pureed frozen bananas, vanilla extract and milk with crushed chocolate sandwich cookies folded in. A delicious, healthier sweet treat made with oreos!
- Prep Time: 5-10 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Total Time: 5-10 mins
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
- 5 medium ripe frozen bananas, peeled, chopped and frozen
- ½ cup milk (of choice) + more if needed
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pinch coarse salt
- 10-12 chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
- Place the bananas, milk, vanilla extract and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Transfer the nice cream to a bowl and fold in the crushed cookies. Fit the bowl with a lid and store in the freezer.
- Let sit at room temperature 5-10 minutes, then scoop and serve immediately.
Serving Tip: Serve immediately or after freezing for 30-60 minutes for best results. It will have a soft serve ice cream texture. If the "nice" cream is completely frozen, let sit at room temperature 30-60 minutes before scooping for best results.
- Serving Size: ⅛ of recipe
- Calories: 142
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 74mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Keywords: nice cream, ice cream, treat, dessert, frozen