This cherry bacon grilled cheese is loaded with smokiness, saltiness and fresh cherries to give you the ultimate in gooey deliciousness!
Salty. Sweet. Savory. It doesn't get better than that.
- Whole Grain Bread: You really want the structure of hearty grain bread in this sandwich.
- It’s holding a lot of components, so you want bread with some heft to it.
- Don’t get me wrong, squishy white bread will always be a go-to for some types of grilled cheese, but for this one – go for the grains!
- Cherries: You want fresh cherries for this recipe.
- Frozen cherries, even when thawed and drained, are just a little too wet for the sandwich.
- If you don’t have fresh cherries on hand, you could try dried fruit like Bing cherries or even cranberries in the grilled cheese.
- Butter: You could substitute warmed ghee for the butter in the pan.
- Ghee is butter with the milk solids removed, so it gives you even more clean buttery flavor in the cherry bacon grilled cheese.
- Just brush the ghee in the pan, and you’re ready to go!
- Bacon: Center-cut bacon is perfect in this sandwich.
- But, if you want to try something a little different you could use pancetta or even crisped prosciutto in the grilled cheese.
- Gouda or Havarti: You want to reach for a good melting cheese for this grilled cheese. Gouda is a sweet and creamy cow’s milk cheese, which melts like a dream.
- Havarti is a buttery, smooth, and lightly sweet cow’s milk cheese which also melts incredibly well.
- Either cheese works because both cheeses melt smoothly, and are incredibly delicious.
- Basil: The basil ties all of the sweet, smoky, creamy flavors and textures together in this sandwich.
- If you don’t have fresh basil, you could use store-bought prepared basil pesto as a light and delicious spread for the sandwich.
Recipe Substitutions & Alterations
- Strawberries are a pretty delightful substitution for the cherries. And if you don’t have fresh strawberries, some strawberry preserves would be fantastic!
- If you’re living gluten free, you can find a good selection of gluten free whole grain breads that will work perfectly for this cherry bacon grilled cheese.
- A smear of Dijon mustard on the inside of the bread would bring some bright notes to the sandwich.
- Some very thinly sliced red onion would be a great addition to this cherry bacon grilled cheese!
Prep & Serving Tips
- Grab the griddle: Everyone loves grilled cheese. It’s just a fact. So, for your next barbecue, pull out the griddle pan for your grill, and start an assembly line of ingredients.
- Not only will these sandwiches be a hit with both kids and adults, they will bring a little bit of lip-smacking novelty to the usual backyard fare!
- Prep in advance: Make the cherry filling in advance and set your fillings up on a tray so you're ready to grill quickly!
- Add a salad: Serve these cherry bacon grilled cheese sandwiches with a large green salad overflowing with veggies.
- Toss the salad with a light lemon vinaigrette, and it will be the perfect accompaniment to these rich, sweet, and savory sandwiches.
Other bacon-y recipes:
- Balsamic Green Beans with Bacon
- Cheesy Spinach Artichoke and Bacon Dip
- Cheddar, Jalapeno & Bacon Cornbread Muffins
- Sweet Corn & Bacon Fritters
Cherry Bacon Grilled Cheese
Grilled cheese with crispy bacon, fresh berries and basil.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: Makes 2 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- 4-6 slices bacon
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 4 slices Gouda or Havarti (or about 1 cup shredded)
- 6-8 sweet cherries, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons basil, chiffonade
- Cook bacon in a skillet set to medium until crispy, about 5-6 minutes, flipping once. Place cooked bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate to soak up grease.
- Spread the butter on one side of eaech piece of whole grain bread.
- Build the sandwich with whole grain bread, 1 slice cheese, cherries, basil and bacon, then another slice of cheese.
- Place in the hot skillet and cook until golden on the bottom, about 3-5 minutes, placing a heavy bottomed skillet on top to condense the sandwich.
- Remove the pan, flip the sandwich and cook until the other side is golden and cheese is melted, about 3-5 more minutes.
Cooking Tip: Make sure the skillet is hot before adding the grilled cheese ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 383
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 340mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 17g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
Keywords: sandwich, whole grain, easy, simple, healthy, tasty, from scratch, homemade, lunch