Are you ready for an easy 20 minute pan seared scallops recipe with orange ginger sauce?
It takes just a few ingredients for both the scallops and the slaw and includes tips on how to sear the PERFECT scallops!
You'll be a scallop-cooking pro in no-time.
How to make pan seared scallops
For the slaw:
- Toasted sesame oil: Be sure it's toasted, as it has a rich, toasty sesame flavor (not to be confused with regular sesame oil).
- Rice vinegar: To give the dressing a little tanginess.
- Honey: For a little sweetness and balance.
- Snap peas and radishes: Thinly sliced to make a beautiful slaw.
- Green onion: Thinly sliced to add a mild onion flavor.
For the scallops:
- Scallops: Sea scallops (the big ones), from a reputable source.
- Oranges: Fresh orange juice and zest make such a bright and citrusy sauce.
- Brown sugar: For sweetness.
- Ginger: Freshly grated.
- Butter: To finish the sauce with richness and classic butter flavor.
Step-by-step tips to create melt-in-your-mouth scallops with a crispy-brown exterior:
- Use fresh scallops.
- Pull the 'foot' off. It's a little rubbery piece on the outside of each scallop that peels right off.
- Dry each scallop really well with paper towel.
- If there is excess moisture, it's difficult to get a good sear (that crispy-brown outside).
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper, on all sides, after they're nice and dry.
- Get the pan nice and hot, add oil, wait until it's shimmering, then add the scallops - it should sizzle!
- Avoid crowding the pan.
- Only cook them for a few minutes on each side, just until each side is browned.
- They cook really fast!
Recipe Substitutions and Alterations
- For the dressing: Any combination of sesame oil, white vinegar and sweetener will work for the slaw dressing.
- For the veggies: Use any combination of crisp vegetable, like carrots or cucumber, for the slaw.
- For the scallops: Try with shrimp or any crustacean.
- To serve: Try with coconut jasmine rice.
- To make this gluten free: This recipe does not contain gluten.
- Be sure all ingredients you choose are gluten free.
- To make this dairy free: This recipe does not contain dairy.
- To make this vegan: Use tofu instead of scallops.
- To make this nut free: This recipe does not contain nuts.
- Be sure all ingredients you choose are nut free.
- Note: this recipe contains sesame.
- To make this egg free: This recipe does not contain eggs.
More seafood recipes you'll love:
- Pistachio-Crusted Scallops
- Firecracker Shrimp Lettuce Cups
- Shrimp & Vegetable Spring Rolls with Ginger Peanut Sauce
- Blackened Fish Tacos with Pico de Gallo
- Maple Mustard Salmon + Roasted Broccoli
Pan Seared Scallops with Orange Ginger Sauce
This 20-minute scallop recipe makes a wonderful healthy protein addition to your dinner and is elevated with a delicious orange ginger sauce and snap pea slaw.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Dinner, Seafood
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American, Asian
- ½ tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, thinly sliced
- 5 radishes, julienned
- 1 stalk green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoons oil
- 1-pound sea scallops, cleaned
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- Zest and juice of 2 large oranges
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sesame oil, vinegar, honey and salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in sugar snap peas, radishes and green onion. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet to medium-high heat. Dry scallops with paper towel. Season both sides of the scallop with salt and pepper. Once oil is hot, place scallops in the pan. Cook until bottom is browned and crispy, about 2 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel.
- Add orange zest and juice to the hot pan, the whisk in brown sugar. Place ginger in the pan. Simmer until slightly thickened, then whisk in butter. Remove ginger. Spoon sauce over scallops and serve topped with sugar snap pea slaw.
- Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
- Calories: 259
- Sugar: 16 g
- Sodium: 589
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 19 g
- Cholesterol: 43 mg
Keywords: healthy, pan seared, easy, simple, quick, weeknight dinner