How about a fancy-looking dinner that only takes 20 minutes to prepare? Ahh yes, I got your attention. These Pan Seared Scallops with Orange Ginger Sauce are it.
I have always been a lover of scallops, and really all seafood, but before I learned how to cook it properly, I was pretty intimidated.
I realized all I needed was a few tricks up my sleeve, and I felt like a seafood pro!
How to Cook the Perfect Scallops
So let's talk perfect scallops (aka how to create melt-in-your-mouth scallops with a crispy-brown exterior):
- Use fresh scallops.
- Pull the 'foot' off. It's a little rubbery piece on the outside of each scallop that peels right off.
- Dry each scallop really well with paper towel. If there is excess moisture, it's difficult to get a good sear (that crispy-brown outside).
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper, on all sides, after they're nice and dry.
- Get the pan nice and hot, add oil, wait until it's shimmering, then add the scallops. It should sizzle! Try not to crowd the pan.
- Only cook them for a few minutes on each side, just until each side is browned. They cook reeeeallll fast. (yay!)
And voila! Best ever Pan Seared Scallops with Orange Ginger Sauce!
Orange-Ginger Sauce Details
But that ain't it, you guys.
We also have the four-ingredient, ever-delicious sauce that will (hopefully) rock your world.
It's fresh orange zest and juice, brown sugar, fresh ginger and butter.
Simmered in the scallop pan until thick, then spooned over each scallopy morsel, then devoured in 2.5.
It's so, so good, you guys.
How to make Pan Seared Scallops with Orange Ginger Sauce into a balanced meal
There's a fun little slaw to go on top because we need vegetables, right? They add color, crunch and nutrition for dayz.
And this slaw has a rice vinegar, sesame oil and honey dressing that is basically life.
I think you'll love these orange-ginger seared scallops and slaw, friends!
Yes, yes and yes!
If you're a seafood lover, you may enjoy these other recipes:
- Pistachio-Crusted Scallops
- Firecracker Shrimp Lettuce Cups
- Shrimp & Vegetable Spring Rolls with Ginger Peanut Sauce
- Blackened Fish Tacos with Pico de Gallo
- Maple Mustard Salmon + Roasted Broccoli
Pan Seared Scallops with Orange Ginger Sauce
This 20-minute scallop recipe makes a wonderful healthy protein addition to your dinner and is elevated with a delicious orange ginger sauce and slaw.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Dinner, Seafood
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American, Asian
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, thinly sliced
- 5 radishes, julienned
- 1 stalk green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoons oil
- 1-pound sea scallops, cleaned
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- Zest and juice of 2 large oranges
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sesame oil, vinegar, honey and salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in sugar snap peas, radishes and green onion. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet to medium-high heat. Dry scallops with paper towel. Season both sides of the scallop with salt and pepper. Once oil is hot, place scallops in the pan. Cook until bottom is browned and crispy, about 2 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel.
- Add orange zest and juice to the hot pan, the whisk in brown sugar. Place ginger in the pan. Simmer until slightly thickened, then whisk in butter. Remove ginger. Spoon sauce over scallops and serve topped with sugar snap pea slaw.
- Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
- Calories: 259
- Sugar: 16 g
- Sodium: 589
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 19 g
- Cholesterol: 43 mg
Keywords: healthy, pan seared, easy, simple, quick, weeknight dinner