Summer always seems like it's slipping by in a hurry when it's here... And these grilled peach & sweet corn summer grain bowls help keep me going.
All the good things about summer...
While summer is here, I always want to make the most of all the summertime foods.
That includes peaches, sweet corn, sweet and tart cherries, melons, berries, cucumber, zucchini and summer squash, tomatoes, and the like.
For several years we had a garden and I could pick most of those things in my backyard, but since moving into our new house it hasn't been on our radar to build a garden until next summer (again, whahhhh!), but I did have a blast picking out some of those goodies at the farmer's market last weekend.
I wanted to create something really fresh, bright and beautiful, which is what led me to these Grilled Peach & Sweet Corn Summer Grain Bowls.
Just the name gets me super excited.
What goes in a summer grain bowl?
You can basically put whatever summer yummies you want in these bowls, but here is what I chose:
- Juicy grilled peaches and sweet corn
- Tender gilled chicken
- Sweet cherries
- Creamy avocado
- Chewy wheat berries
- The best basil vinaigrette
- A handful of greens or herbs
I just went for what was freshest and sprawling at the market and tossed it on the grill for that lovely charred and caramelized flavor + some protein to make it a meal + avocado because it goes on almost everything + some chewy ancient grains as the base + all the basil whirled with olive oil, Dijon, white wine vinegar and honey to bring it all together.
I honestly can't think of anything more summery at this moment because it's allll in this one bowl.
And it's delicious.
Also, these bowls make the best meal prep lunches for the week because they're fantastic chilled.
Raise your hand if you're up for it?!Print
Grilled Peach & Sweet Corn Summer Grain Bowls
Grilled Peach & Sweet Corn Summer Grain bowls with chicken, avocado, sweet cherries and basil vinaigrette. Summer in a bowl!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 40 min
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stove-Top, Grill
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼-½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup ancient grains, rice or beans
- 2 medium peaches, sliced in half and pitted
- 2 medium ears of corn, husked
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1-pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 cup sweet cherries, halved and pitted
- ¼ cup microgreens
- Make the vinaigrette by combining all ingredients in a blundering and pureeing until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Prepare grains or rice according to package directions. Fluff and refrigerate until chilled.
- Preheat the grill or grill pan to medium heat. Brush peaches and corn with 1 tablespoon oil. Season chicken breasts with salt and black pepper. Place the corn and the chicken on the grill and cook 10 minutes, turning frequently. Add the peaches to the grill and cook everything for 5 minutes, until peaches have grill marks, the corn is tender and chicken reaches 165 degrees. Let them sit for 5-10 minutes, until cooled. Dice the peaches, slice the corn off the cob and slice the chicken into thin strips.
- To make the bowls, divide cooked grains, grilled peaches, corn and chicken, avocado, cherries and micro grains into 4 bowls. Drizzle with basil vinaigrette and serve immediately.
Meal Prep Tip: To prep for lunches, place salad ingredients in containers and the basil vinaigrette in separate bowls and combine just before eating.
- Serving Size: ⅙ of recipe
- Calories: 381
- Sugar: 13
- Sodium: 321
- Fat: 22
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 18
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 31
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 18
- Cholesterol: 39
Keywords: meal prep, healthy, easy, make ahead, packed lunch, lunchbox ideas, vegetable, fruit