Get ready for cashew chicken stir fry.
What's so great about cashew chicken stir fry?
There are times when I am exhausted from working a long day and working out and running errands [etc] and I just don't feel like cooking. I know, I know.
Don't food bloggers and chefs and dietitians ALWAYS want to cook? I would say 95% of the time, I do.
But then there is that 5% of the time where I am just ready to sit on the couch and watch TV and not even think about making a mess in the kitchen.
It's the truth, and I feel so much better now that I have that off of my chest.
But just a reminder... I do LOVE food. Like, very very much.
It's a deep-seeded love that cannot be taken away by lack of time. It just means I have to do a little bit of planning and keep things in my kitchen that can make a quick, simple and delicious meal.
And that is precisely why I love this stir fry. Because when times get tough [aka busy], this stir fry has my back.
This recipe has such a delicious sauce!
Which is why I am so happy to be sharing it with you! Because I know you are all food lovers who appreciate delicious 20 minute late night meals. We are all in this together.
So it does requires a coupla specialty items, but I recommend these items become staples in your kitch.
They add incredible, intense flavor to dishes, such as this cashew chicken stir fry, that cannot be replicated. We're talking fish sauce + rice wine vinegar + toasted sesame oil, and then brown sugar + soy sauce.
This sauce is life, people, I swear. You will never, ever wanna buy a bottle of stir fry sauce at the grocery store again.
And with a few squirts of Sriracha, there is the perfect balance of sweet, salty, spicy and best of all, umami.
So when you're in a pitch and just wanna throw several handfuls of broccoli and chicken in a skillet + this dynamite sauce + a giant handful of cashews... you can do it.
And yes, it also means you can have a luscious, restaurant-quality meal ready in less than 20 minutes.
I hope this meal makes your chaotic week at least a little better, and certainly more delicious.Print
Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
An easy stir fry with chicken, broccoli, cashews and the best homemade sauce.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 10-15 mins
- Total Time: 20-30 mins
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Asian
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2-3 tablespoons oil
- 1-pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- Pinch coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 cups stir-fry veggies (red pepper strips, snap peas)
- 1 ½ cups cooked rice or quinoa
- ½ cup cashews or peanuts, chopped and toasted
- Sriracha, for drizzling
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar and sesame oil. Vigorously whisk in corn starch until incorporated. Add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Heat canola or grapeseed oil in a large wok or skillet to medium-high heat. Add chicken breast and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned. Add broccoli and stir-fry vegetables and cook another 3-4 minutes, until just slightly tender. Add sauce and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Serve stir fry over cooked rice or quinoa and garnish with cashews/peanuts and Sriracha.
Cooking Tip: Toasting the cashews gives a nutty flavor and crisper texture.
- Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
- Calories: 475
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 768mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 17g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 37g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
Keywords: easy, tasty, nut, healthy, simple, from scratch, homemade