This recipe for sweet and sour chicken with pineapple is better-than-takeout and you're going to want to make it every. single. day.
It's made with real, fresh and wholesome ingredients and tastes absolutely homemade. Because it is.
What makes this sweet and sour chicken with pineapple so darn good?
The chicken is extra crispy and the sauce is made with pineapple juice, fresh ginger, apple cider vinegar and soy sauce, and is tossed with fresh, juicy pineapple and sliced green onion and served over fluffy Jasmine rice.
It's the perf combo of textures and I'm pretty sure you'll fall in love.
The sauce is made with pineapple juice, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, fresh ginger and a teeny bit of sugar to round out the tanginess.
It thickens right up after cooking the chicken.
See ya, takeout!
The chicken is coated in cornstarch and pan-fried in a little bit of oil to make it super crisp.
Then it's tossed with the sauce, pineapple and red bell pepper and garnished with green onion. It's freaking stellar.
So, see! I told you you wouldn't want to pick up takeout anymore! Because you (yes, you) can make something this great, this delicious, in your own home.
Give it a try, and promise me you won't just pick up a bottle of sweet and sour sauce and call it good. It's worth the extra 10 minutes, friends.
So. much. better. And if you're loving this better-than-takeout theme, check out my recipe for Beef & Broccoli.Print
Sweet and Sour Chicken with Pineapple
This recipe for Pineapple Ginger Sweet and Sour Chicken is better-than-takeout and you're going to want to make it every. single. day.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Chinese
Sweet & Sour Sauce:
- 1 ¼ cups pineapple juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons. ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon finely minced or grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 1-pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- ¾ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ¼ cup canola or grapeseed oil
- 2 cups cooked Jasmine rice, for serving
- Chopped green onion, for garnish
- Place 1 cup pineapple juice, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, sugar and ginger in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer, whisking until sugar is dissolved. Whisk together remaining ¼ cup pineapple juice and corn starch in a small bowl. Whisk into the sauce and simmer until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Stir in pineapple. Set aside.
- Season chicken breast cubes with salt and pepper. Place corn starch in a medium bowl, add chicken to the bowl and toss to coat. Heat oil to medium-high heat in a deep skillet. Working in shifts, fry chicken in the hot oil for about 3-4 minutes, until golden brown, stirring occasionally to be sure chicken is evenly cooked. Remove using a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel. Once all chicken is cooked, toss with the sweet and sour sauce until coated. Serve pineapple chicken over rice with green onion.
- Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
- Calories: 391
- Sugar: 17 g
- Sodium: 1063 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 23 g
- Cholesterol: 55 mg
Keywords: easy, healthy, tasty, simple, homemade, comfort food