I tell ya' what. Roasted beet soup is THE STUFF.
Let's make roasted beet soup
I'm totally, absolutely, 100% in love with beets. They're sweet, bright, beautiful, and when cooked properly, just melt away in your mouth.
I know, I know, some people just don't like beets. What I would like, though, is for you to enter this post with a completely open mind, and let me explain to you why you should, and will, love beets.
First of all, roasting brings out all of the best qualities of beets. They become sweet and caramelized and honestly - they taste like candy. Second of all, there are endless possibilities with beets: as curly fries (remember?), sweet pickled or canned (my favorite), roasted whole (love when I don't have to peel), as the original red food dye (what!) and served with arugula and goat cheese (nuff said).
And third of all, in this dish, the beets are combined with roasted carrots, parsnips and red onion, balsamic vinegar, thyme, cloves, nutmeg, honey and cream with just a touch of cayenne to make the world's most luscious soup that's impossible to turn down.
I could go on, but I'll stop there. Because you're sold, right? Do you want some of this soup?
I love you either way, but please try the soup.
Roasted Beet Soup
Roasted beets, carrots and parsnips pureed with balsamic vinegar, stock, thyme, honey, cloves and nutmeg.
- Prep Time: 15-20 mins
- Cook Time: 45-50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hr-1 hr 10 mins
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Soup
- Method: Baking, Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 4 medium beets, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into rounds
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 4 cups (32-ounces) unsalted vegetable stock
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup plain yogurt or cream
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Arugula and/or nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place beets, carrots, parsnips and red onion on a large greased baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, vinegar and a generous pinch of salt and black pepper. Roast 35-45 minutes, until vegetables are tender and slightly browned.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to a Dutch oven or stock pot with stock and thyme sprigs (stock should just cover vegetables). Bring to a simmer and allow to cook until vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs and discard.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup until very smooth, or transfer vegetables and stock to a blender and puree until very smooth. Season with a generous pinch of salt and black pepper. Stir in honey, yogurt/cream, cloves, nutmeg and cayenne. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve with arugula and/or nuts, if desired.
Cooking Tip: Swap out the parsnips for additional beets.
- Serving Size: ⅙ of recipe
- Calories: 189
- Sugar: 21g
- Sodium: 268mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Keywords: best, beetroot, easy, vegetarian, healthy, comfort food, seasonal