Who doesn't love a good fish fry? This version is special because it's crispy white fish with beet and sweet potato curly fries!
Let's make some curly fries!
Omgosh you guys, I am so so so in love with curly beet and sweet potato fries!
I am just so excited to share them with you right now! Well, the recipe, that is.
I am not sharing my actual curly fries with you because, well, they're already gone. I ate every. last. one.
So anyway, I trust you'll make your own because I'm selfish, and they're super easy to make (no peeling!).
You just spiralize a coupla beets and sweet potatoes, toss them in oil and a lil salt and into the oven until they're super crispy (!!)
And then, you'll wonder why you haven't been spiralizing and crispy-baking your root vegetables all along (I'm thinking the same thing).
How to make crispy breaded white fish... in the oven!
Oh, and there's also fish. Perfectly tender, perfectly crunchy baked white fish (the breading is out-of-this-world) that is paired nicely with a homemade tartar sauce.
Side note: If it wasn't weird to drink tartar sauce, I probably would, because it's superb. I love the extra kick from the pickle juice!
The fish itself is so crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, and that's because we breaded it with flour, egg wash, then a light panko breading and baked it on a wire rack (be sure to coat with cooking spray!).
This allows for the entire exterior to get nice and crispy while the fish cooks perfectly, every time.
I use this method when I am trying to mimic any breaded and fried food (think chicken tenders!) and it works like magic!
So anyway, I'm going to whip up another batch of crispy white fish with beet and sweet potato curly fries + (the best) tartar sauce, and enjoy Friday fish, at home!
You with me?Print
Crispy White Fish with Beet and Sweet Potato Curly Fries
Crispy baked white fish filets with oven-baked sweet potato and beet curly fries, plus homemade tartar sauce!
- Prep Time: 15-20 mins
- Cook Time: 35-40 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins-1 hr
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking, No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, washed
- 2 medium beets, washed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 (4- to 6-ounce) white fish filets (cod or haddock)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill pickles or relish
- 1 teaspoon pickle juice or lemon juice
- Pinch each coarse salt and ground black pepper
- Dash hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Using a vegetable spiralizer, spiralize sweet potatoes and beets (no need to remove skin). Place on a greased baking sheet and toss with oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Bake 25-35 minutes, until very crispy, tossing with tongs occasionally. Sprinkle with additional salt, if necessary.
- In the meantime, coat a baking sheet fitted with a wire rack with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Sprinkle fish filets with salt and black pepper. Set up three bowls: One with the flour and a pinch of salt, black pepper and cayenne; one with beaten egg and a pinch of salt and pepper; and another with panko, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Coat fish filets with flour, then egg wash, then panko, and place on the greased baking rack. Coat each filet with cooking spray. Bake 10-12 minutes, flipping once and coating with additional cooking spray, until outside is crispy and interior temperature reaches 145 degrees.
- While fish and curly fries bake, prepare tartar sauce by whisking all sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve fish with tartar sauce and a side of crispy curly fries.
Cooking Tip: Coat each piece of fish with cooking spray to help achieve a crispy crust.
- Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
- Calories: 336
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 537mg
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 18g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 113mg
Keywords: healthy, easy, baked, tasty, homemade, from scratch