As you know, I'm pretty much always on a soup kick (especially a Thai sweet potato soup kick). Huge, piping hot bowls filled with veggies, beans, meat, uber-flavorful stock, spices and herbs.
There's just nothing better on a chilly day or a better way to cozy up on the couch.
This time of year, I rarely go a week without making a big pot of soup and enjoying it for days on end. Even in the summer.
And although I have a handful of favorites (ok a HUGE handful...), this Thai Sweet Potato Soup probably lands at the very top.
It has a short list of ingredients, but that doesn't mean it's short on flavor.
The sweet potatoes pair so nicely with the coconut milk, ginger, curry paste and lime, and when whirled together with the immersion blender, it becomes this luscious and creamy soup that is honestly to-die-for.
And I don't know about you, but sometimes I'm in the mood for a chunky soup like Italian Wedding, Split Pea & Ham or Chicken & Wild Rice, but there are other times where you just cannot beat a pureed soup that is creamy and smooth.
It kind of feels like you're eating at some fancy restaurant, but the soup is just so easy to make that you can do it up right at home.
This Thai Sweet Potato Soup is SO good, it landed a spot in my Simple Soups eCookbook!
Since I'm already tooting my own horn that this IS the best sweet potato soup out there, then we may as well discuss the other soups that are on my blog and in my Simple Soups eCookbook.
I named a few above, but there are handfuls of amazing soups in there. Egg Drop, Chicken & Dumplings, Indian Coconut Lentil, Broccoli Cheese, and so many more. And they're not just ordinary soups.
There is a strategy behind each of them so they provide the most flavor and amazing textures to make for a real eating experience.
Yes, I take soup very seriously.
How to make the best sweet potato soup...
So, give this one and try and let me know what you think!Print
Thai Sweet Potato Soup
A simple sweet potato soup with coconut milk, ginger, curry paste and lime.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 25-30 mins
- Total Time: 35-50 mins
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stove-Top, Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Thai
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons green or red curry paste
- 2 ¼ teaspoons coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes (from about 4 medium potatoes)
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 15-ounce can full fat canned coconut milk
- Zest and juice of 2 medium limes
- 1 ½ teaspoons honey
- Heat olive oil to medium in a Dutch oven or stock pot. Stir in garlic, ginger, curry paste, salt and cayenne. Add sweet potatoes and stock and bring to a simmer for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are very soft.
- Remove from the heat, add the cilantro and use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. Add coconut milk, lime zest and juice and honey and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seaosning, if necessary.
Instant Pot Directions:
- Add the garlic, ginger, curry paste, salt, cayenne pepper, sweet potatoes and stock into the bowl of the Instant Pot.
- Secure lid on the Instant Pot with toggle on sealed. Set on high pressure for 8 minutes. When complete, carefully use a wooden spoon to push toggle to venting to release the steam. Carefully remove the lid.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until very smooth. Stir in the cilantro, coconut milk, lime zest and juice and honey. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serving Size: ⅙ of recipe
- Calories: 261
- Sugar: 31g
- Sodium: 561mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: thai, sweet potato, sweet potatoes, soup, sweet potato soup, soups, soups cookbook