When it comes to desserts, we think this diminutive delicious mini strawberry shortcake are where it’s at!
They're easy to make and perfect for summer entertaining!
- Mascarpone: An Italian cream cheese that is rich and decadent!
- Vanilla Extract: This gives your mascarpone whipped cream a beautiful and luscious flavor!
- But, if you’d like to play around with the flavor profile a bit, almond extract also is delicious with the sweet cheese mixture!
- Heavy Whipping Cream: If you don’t have heavy whipping cream on hand and you don’t feel like running to the store, here’s a quick DIY trick.
- Use just under a cup of half and half, with ⅛ of a cup of melted and cooled butter. The added fat from the butter will mimic the heavy whipping cream really nicely!
- Granulated Sugar: You can find recipes that use superfine sugar or powdered sugar, but we find that good old fashioned granulated sugar is really our favorite ingredient for the whipped cream.
- Strawberries: We love fresh strawberries in our mini strawberry shortcakes!
- They speak to the spirit of summer and the joy of the garden. But there’s nothing wrong with using frozen and thawed strawberries.
- Mini Biscuits: For these, you can buy them in the store for a convenient shortcut, or you can make them yourself.
- If you don’t have the right sized biscuit cutter for the little biscuits, just use a small glass to cut them out.
Recipe Substitution & Alterations
- Instead of strawberries: We love fresh strawberries as the star of these shortcakes. But, you could also use raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries.
- Add chocolate: If you want to really ratchet up the decadence of these little guys, you could top them with a bit of shaved dark chocolate!
- Add herbs: Mint is always a welcome addition to strawberries and heavy cream. But, you could also add a little thinly sliced basil for a new twist on a classic favorite!
- Make them gluten free: Make gluten free biscuits with gluten free all-purpose flour or purchase gluten free dough.
- Make them dairy free: Use dairy free whipped cream.
- Make them vegan: Use plant-based whipped cream and cream cheese.
- Store the biscuits, strawberry mixture and whipped cream separately in airtight containers. They will keep in the refrigerator 2-3 days.
- Assemble the shortcake stacks just before serving.
- If you make biscuits from scratch and would like to freeze them for future use, here’s how to do it.
- Just make sure the biscuits are completely cooled on a cooling rack.
- Then, wrap them tightly in heavy duty foil and place them in a large resealable plastic bag for up to three months.
Other amazing berry recipes:
- Spinach & Goat Cheese Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
- Strawberry Chia Jam
- Chocolate Overnight Oats & Raspberry Chia Seed Pudding Parfaits
- Spinach, Strawberry and Fennel Salad
- Raspberry Mango Arborio Rice Pudding
- Strawberry Banana Cashew Smoothie
- Italian Ricotta Cheesecake
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting
- Mini Strawberry Shortcake Stacks
Mini Strawberry Shortcake Stacks
An easy summer dessert made with mini biscuits, strawberry filling and a mascarpone whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 20-25 mins
- Cook Time: 5-10 mins
- Total Time: 25-35 mins
- Yield: Serves 16 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
- 16 mini biscuits
- 2 pounds strawberries, hulled
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons mascarpone or cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Slice biscuits in half and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash strawberries with a potato masher or the back of a fork. Stir in 4 tablespoons sugar.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip heavy cream, mascarpone, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and vanilla extract until peaks form.
- Assemble stacks by layering half a mini biscuit with a scoop of strawberry filling, a dollop of whipped cream, the other half of the biscuit, another scoop of strawberry filling and another dollop of whipped cream. Garnish with a small strawberry, if desired. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Cooking Tip: Try this recipe with store-bought biscuits; simply tear them into smaller pieces.
- Serving Size: 1 shortcake stack
- Calories: 186
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 6mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
Keywords: easy, bites, small, best, biscuits, mascarpone
Noice stuff mate
Julie Andrews says
Thank you Javeriah 🙂
meixii @ thiscache says
These looks so gorgeous and appetizing!! And I LOVE strawberries!!! Looks great for a picnic or tea party! I'd be noting this down for my future bakes 🙂
Julie Andrews says
I love strawberries, too! And mini desserts are the best 🙂
Karman | The Nutrition Adventure says
Julie Andrews says
Thank you, Karman!