You know what's super delicious? A big fat monte cristo sandwich.
Let's make a monte cristo sandwich
Sandwiches, especially the toasted or grilled kind. Melty, ooey-gooey cheese of any variety.
Sweet and salty food mash-ups. French toast. Brunch, in general.
I could go on and on naming delicious things, but the one's I've mentioned so far have something very important in common..... Monte Cristo sandwiches!
If you haven't had a Monte Cristo, it's traditionally made with white bread, Gruyere, ham and Dijon mustard, cooked French toast-style and served with a side of preserves and powdered sugar.
It's sweet and salty HEAVEN, you guys.
A delicious brunch or lunch recipe!
This recipe is just a bit different in that it's made with whole grain cinnamon raisin bread, slices of muenster and fruit preserves stuffed inside the sandwich AND used for dipping.
It's a Monte Cristo, Julie style. These sandwiches are definitely something you can serve on Mother's Day, because we all know moms love brunch, cheese, sweet and salty mash-ups, French toast and sandwiches.
If that's not true, I don't know if I can be friends with your mom.
Just kidding, but did I mention that the entire sandwich is dipped in a clove and nutmeg-infused batter and cooked French toast-style?
And topped with powdered sugar and dipped in fruit preserves?
Did you hear that? I really hope you're as excited about this Monte Cristo Sandwich as I am.
Just trust me - these sandwiches are SO yummy, and mom deserves yummy.Print
Monte Cristo Sandwich
A monte cristo with black forest ham, muenster, apricot preserves on whole grain raisin bread fried French toast-style.
- Prep Time: 5-10 mins
- Cook Time: 10-15 mins
- Total Time: 15-25 mins
- Yield: Makes 4 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: French, American
- 8 slices whole grain raisin bread
- 16 slices black forest ham
- 4 slices muenster cheese
- ¼ cup apricot preserves + more for serving
- ½ cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- Pinch coarse salt
- 3-4 tablespoons salted butter
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Layer 4 slices of bread with honey ham, muenster and apricot preserves. Place remaining bread slices on top.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together milk, eggs, nutmeg, cloves and salt until combined.
- Heat one tablespoon butter in a nonstick skillet to medium heat. Dip one assembled sandwich in milk/egg mixture, then place in the hot skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes per side, until bread is golden brown and cheese is completely melted. Repeat this process with remaining butter and sandwiches.
- Slice each sandwich into 4 squares and serve with extra apricot preserves and powdered sugar (optional).
Make it a Meal: Serve with a green salad.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 523
- Sugar: 28g
- Sodium: 336mg
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 28g
- Cholesterol: 250mg
Keywords: whole grain, healthy, easy, tasty, simple, comfort food, delicious