This recipe for Greek chicken bowls is a simple meal with bold flavors.
The perfect combination of ingredients, textures and colors that quickly comes together for a simple, healthy lunch or dinner option.
You can also make these bowls ahead of time, so it's a win-win!
How to make Greek chicken bowls
For the chicken:
- Olive oil: As the cooking fat for sauteing.
- Chicken breasts: Boneless, skinless to be cooked in the olive oil.
- Spices: Oregano, salt and black pepper will do the trick.
For the dressing:
- Lemon: The zest and juice for maximum lemon flavor.
- Red wine vinegar: Classic in Greek dressing.
- Sugar: Honey or granulated sugar provide balance to the dressing.
- Spices: More oregano, salt and black pepper.
- Olive oil: The best oil to make dressing, imo.
For the bowls:
- Rice or grains: Any cooked rice or grain will work here.
- Spinach: Handfuls of fresh spinach or leafy greens makes the perfect base for these bowls.
- Cucumber: I like to use English cucumber because they don't have as many seeds.
- Tomatoes: Halved cherry or grape tomatoes are perfect here.
- Olives: Kalamata or any Greek pitted olive.
- Artichokes: The jarred marinated kind.
- Feta: Crumbled, for that salty cheese bliss.
- To make chicken: Heat olive oil in a large skillet to medium heat.
- Season chicken breasts with oregano, salt and pepper.
- Place in the hot oil and cook 4-5 minutes per side, until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Remove from the skillet and let rest 5-10 minutes, then slice.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make dressing: Whisk together lemon zest and juice, red wine vinegar, honey or sugar and oregano.
- Whisk in olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make bowls: Evenly distribute rice or grains, spinach, sliced chicken breast, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, artichokes and feta into 4 bowls.
- Drizzle with dressing just before eating.
Recipe Substitutions and Alterations
- Instead of chicken: Try it with chopped or ground beef, lamb, turkey or any meat substitute.
- You can also use pre-cooked meat like rotisserie chicken to save time.
- Instead of making your own dressing: You can use your favorite lemon/olive oil based dressing.
- Instead of rice: Use any cooked grain like quinoa, farro, wheat berries or other ancient grain.
- You can buy pre-cooked rice or grains and heat them in the microwave to save time.
- Instead of spinach: Use any leafy greens, like kale, mixed greens, spring mix or romaine.
- For the cucumber and tomatoes: Use whatever kind you have/love.
- For the olives and artichokes: Use whatever kind you have/love.
- To make this gluten free: Be sure to use a gluten free grain, such as rice or quinoa.
- Be sure all ingredients are gluten free.
- To make it dairy free: Skip the feta or use a dairy free cheese.
- To make it vegan: Use a plant-based meat substitute or use chickpeas instead of meat.
- To make it nut free: This recipe does not contain nuts. Be sure all ingredients you choose are nut free.
- To make it egg free: This recipe does not contain eggs.
Meal prep recipes:
- Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Broccoli Pesto Pasta
- Curry Chicken Meatball Bowls
- Copycat Starbucks Egg Bites
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Overnight Oats
- Deconstructed Egg Roll Bowls
Greek Chicken Bowls
This recipe is a perfect combination of flavors, textures, and colors and quickly comes together for a simple, healthy meal.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 10-15 mins
- Total Time: 20-30 mins
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Dinner, Lunch
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Greek-Inspired
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Lemon Oregano Dressing:
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey or granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teapsoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups cooked rice or grains
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups diced English cucumber
- 2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup Greek olives
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, halved
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- To make chicken: Heat olive oil in a large skillet to medium heat. Season chicken breasts with oregano, salt and pepper. Place in the hot oil and cook 4-5 minutes per side, until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. Remove from the skillet and let rest 5-10 minutes, then slice. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make dressing: Whisk together lemon zest and juice, red wine vinegar, honey/sugar and oregano. Whisk in olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make bowls: Evenly distribute Ready to Serve Brown Rice & Quinoa, spinach, sliced chicken breast, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, artichokes and feta into 4 bowls. Drizzle with dressing just before eating.
- Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
- Calories: 516
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 551mg
- Fat: 37g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 19g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 37g
- Cholesterol: 102mg
Keywords: healthy, meal prep, quick, easy, make ahead, do ahead, homemade dressing
Leave a Reply