Who doesn't love breakfast sausage? Especially when it's homemade sweet & spicy breakfast sausage...
How to make homemade sweet & spicy breakfast sausage
I know I absolutely love it, and think it's an easy way to add a ton of flavor to breakfast dishes (and you know I love breakfast).
I also love creating my very own breakfast sausage because I am in charge of what goes into it, yay!
That means pure deliciousness and zero additives, preservatives and generally fake ingredients (i.e. we can all pronounce every ingredient in this recipe).
Homemade breakfast sausage makes it the best day ever!
What makes this a healthier alternative?
- This sausage has no nitrates/nitrites added, it's just made with ground meat, spices, herbs and maple syrup.
- It has less salt per serving than most sausages - only 378mg for 2 patties!
- You are in control of what goes into the patties, and in this case it's minimal ingredients - most of which you probably have at home or purchase regularly.
- It has less fat because it's made with a mix of turkey and pork.
- It has a TON of flavor, so you won't even be sad it's healthier! Plus it's homemade and insanely delicious.
So what's in this magical sausage?
- Ground turkey and pork (a little lean and a little fat = perf)
- Maple syrup (for that sweetness and maple flave)
- Fennel, oregano and black pepper (to be sausage, you need it)
- Crushed red pepper flakes (heat, yo)
And the perfect amount of salt. That's it! Sausage heaven is just around the corner, folks.
Also, don't forget to get the pan nice a hot to create a nice brown crust on both sides of the sausage patties.
And if you don't eat all the sausage patties ASAP, go ahead and throw 'em on a breakfast sandwich with toasted sourdough, a fried egg, a slice of muenster and avocado slices.
Sweet and Spicy Breakfast Sausage
Easy homemade sausage patties made with ground turkey and pork, maple syrup, red pepper flakes and classic sausage spices.
- Prep Time: 5-10 mins
- Cook Time: 10-15 mins
- Total Time: 15-25 mins
- Yield: Makes 16 patties 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- 1-pound ground turkey
- 1-pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 ¼ teaspoons coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat.
- Combine turkey, pork, maple syrup and seasonings in a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly, then form into small patties.
- Place patties into the hot skillet. Cook 4-5 minutes per side, until each side is browned and crispy and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Storage Tip: Cooked breakfast sausage patties can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months and reheated.
- Serving Size: 2 patties
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 378mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 19g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
Keywords: easy, best, hot, homemade, seasoned, quick, breakfast patty