This simple carrot and cucumber salad includes shaved fresh carrots and English cucumber tossed with toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, honey and sesame seeds.
It's simple, refreshing and nutritious and I think it'll make a regular appearance on your menu!
How to make shaved carrot and cucumber salad
- Cucumber: An English cucumber, with the peel, shaved with a vegetable peeler.
- Carrot: A large carrot, peeled, then shaved with a vegetable peeler.
- Rice vinegar: Unseasoned is best, but seasoned also works.
- Toasted sesame oil: Be sure it's toasted - this will provide that rich, toasty sesame flavor.
- Honey: To balance out the vinegar.
- Seasonings: Just a few pinches of coarse salt and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Sesame seeds: Sprinkle them on top when you're ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey, salt and crushed red pepper flakes and whisk to combine.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Add the cucumber and carrots and toss to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Top with sesame seeds and serve.
Serve with Sesame Ginger Pork Meatballs for a flavor packed meal!
Recipe Substitutions and Alterations
- For the cucumber: You can use any fresh cucumber.
- Instead of shaving the cucumber, you can use a mandolin to slice or use a chef's knife to chop the cucumber in any form you choose.
- For the carrot: Instead of shaving the carrot, you can use a mandolin to slice or use a chef's knife to chop the carrot in any form you choose.
- For the rice vinegar: If you don't have any, you can substitute with white vinegar.
- For the honey: You can substitute with granulated sugar.
- For the crushed red pepper flakes: Go ahead and adjust the amount you use (or omit) depending on the spice level you enjoy.
- For the sesame seeds: For a more concentrated sesame flavor, and more crunch, toast the sesame seeds in a hot pan for 30-60 seconds.
- To make this gluten free: This recipe does not contain gluten.
- Be sure all ingredients you choose are gluten free.
- To make this dairy free: This recipe does not contain dairy.
- To make this vegan: Use granulated sugar instead of honey.
- To make this nut free: This recipe does not contain nuts.
- Be sure all ingredients you choose are nut free.
- Be aware this recipe does contain sesame.
- To make this egg free: This recipe does not contain eggs.
Refreshing salads to try ASAP:
- Broccoli Salad with Sweet Lemon Dressing
- Citrus Arugula Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
- Spinach Walnut Salad with Raspberry Dressing
- Chopped Vegetable Salad with Peanut Dressing
- Ramen Noodle Salad with Orange Sesame Dressing
- Almond Strawberry Salad with Fennel and Poppy Seed Dressing
Shaved Carrot and Cucumber Salad
A simple carrot and cucumber salad with toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, honey and sesame seeds.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Total Time: 10-15 mins
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Salad
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Inspired
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Pinch coarse salt
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large English cucumber, shaved
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shaved
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey, salt and crushed red pepper flakes and whisk to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Add the cucumber and carrots and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Top with sesame seeds and serve.
Preparation Tip: Use a vegetable peeler to shave the cucumber and carrots (include the peel!).
- Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
- Calories: 63
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 80mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: salad, carrot, cucumber, sesame, no cook, summer