Instant Oatmeal in a Cup
Easy homemade oatmeal cups - tastier, healthier and more budget-friendly than store-bought!
- Prep Time: 3 mins
- Cook Time: 2 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: Makes 1 oatmeal cup 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- ½ tablespoon dark brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons mix-ins (see below for ideas)
- ¾ cup water or milk
- Pour the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt into a pint-size jar. Stir to combine. Add 2 tablespoons of desired mix-ins to the jar. Seal the jar and store at room temperature up to 2 months.
- When ready to cook, add the water or milk to the jar, stir and microwave on high 1 minute 30 seconds. Place the lid on top and let sit 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Dried fruit (raisins, cherries, blueberries, strawberries, apples, apricots, bananas, mango, coconut, etc) - chop if in larger pieces like apple wedges and strawberry slices
- Nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, etc) - chopped
- Dark chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Boost the nutrients in your oatmeal cup by adding ½ tablespoon ground flax seed, dark cocoa powder or peanut butter powder before microwaving. You may need an extra splash of water or milk to accommodate for the added flax, cocoa powder or peanut butter powder.
- Stir in a tablespoon of nut butter just before serving.
- Add fresh fruit and more chopped nuts on top before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 oatmeal cup
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 130mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: breakfast, make ahead, make-ahead, copycat