When it comes to desserts, we think this diminutive delicious mini strawberry shortcake are where it’s at! They're easy to make and perfect for summer entertaining!
- Mascarpone: An Italian cream cheese that is rich and decadent!
- Vanilla Extract: This gives your mascarpone whipped cream a beautiful and luscious flavor! But, if you’d like to play around with the flavor profile a bit, almond extract also is delicious with the sweet cheese mixture!
- Heavy Whipping Cream: If you don’t have heavy whipping cream on hand and you don’t feel like running to the store, here’s a quick DIY trick. Use just under a cup of half and half, with ⅛ of a cup of melted and cooled butter. The added fat from the butter will mimic the heavy whipping cream really nicely!
- Granulated Sugar: You can find recipes that use superfine sugar or powdered sugar, but we find that good old fashioned granulated sugar is really our favorite ingredient for the whipped cream.
- Strawberries: We love fresh strawberries in our mini strawberry shortcakes! They speak to the spirit of summer and the joy of the garden. But there’s nothing wrong with using frozen and thawed strawberries.
- Mini Biscuits: For these, you can buy them in the store for a convenient shortcut, or you can make them yourself. If you don’t have the right sized biscuit cutter for the little biscuits, just use a small glass to cut them out.
Recipe Substitution & Alterations
- Instead of strawberries: We love fresh strawberries as the star of these shortcakes. But, you could also use raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries.
- Add chocolate: If you want to really ratchet up the decadence of these little guys, you could top them with a bit of shaved dark chocolate!
- Add herbs: Mint is always a welcome addition to strawberries and heavy cream. But, you could also add a little thinly sliced basil for a new twist on a classic favorite!
- Make them gluten free: Make gluten free biscuits with gluten free all-purpose flour or purchase gluten free dough.
- Make them dairy free: Use dairy free whipped cream.
- Make them vegan: Use plant-based whipped cream and cream cheese.
Store the biscuits, strawberry mixture and whipped cream separately in airtight containers. They will keep in the refrigerator 2-3 days.
Assemble the shortcake stacks just before serving.
If you make biscuits from scratch and would like to freeze them for future use, here’s how to do it. Just make sure the biscuits are completely cooled on a cooling rack.
Then, wrap them tightly in heavy duty foil and place them in a large resealable plastic bag for up to three months.
Other amazing berry recipes:
- Spinach & Goat Cheese Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
- Strawberry Chia Jam
- Chocolate Overnight Oats & Raspberry Chia Seed Pudding Parfaits
- Spinach, Strawberry and Fennel Salad
- Raspberry Mango Arborio Rice Pudding
- Strawberry Banana Cashew Smoothie
- Italian Ricotta Cheesecake
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting
- Mini Strawberry Shortcake Stacks
Mini Strawberry Shortcake Stacks
An easy summer dessert made with mini biscuits, strawberry filling and a mascarpone whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 20-25 mins
- Cook Time: 5-10 mins
- Total Time: 25-35 mins
- Yield: Serves 16 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
- 16 mini biscuits
- 2 pounds strawberries, hulled
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons mascarpone or cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Slice biscuits in half and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash strawberries with a potato masher or the back of a fork. Stir in 4 tablespoons sugar.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip heavy cream, mascarpone, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and vanilla extract until peaks form.
- Assemble stacks by layering half a mini biscuit with a scoop of strawberry filling, a dollop of whipped cream, the other half of the biscuit, another scoop of strawberry filling and another dollop of whipped cream. Garnish with a small strawberry, if desired. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Cooking Tip: Try this recipe with store-bought biscuits; simply tear them into smaller pieces.
- Serving Size: 1 shortcake stack
- Calories: 186
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 6mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
Keywords: easy, bites, small, best, biscuits, mascarpone